Monday, June 1, 2009

Big Dummy for me!


I have finally picked out my next bike. I have been researching it online for quite a few months now. I started with the Xtracycle site http://www.xtracycle.com/ and all the information about the Free Radical. On their site I came across it...the perfect bike for a self-propelled mom...the Big Dummy. Made by Surly for Xtracycle; a complete bike with no need to change out my current bike (not that I have an amazing mtb for the free radical). And so, given that the Big Dummy is made by Surly I had to go to the Surly site http://surlybikes.com/bd_comp.html.

Just look at it! Longtail, lower center of gravity for hauling. Disc brakes, fabulous loaders. I am in love for sure. The test ride out in Dekalb the other week sealed the deal. Smooth, stable, steady. Sweet!

Obviously I need a larger frame than the one I rode. Also, I will probably go ahead and build it out myself, buying the frameset only. And I am so excited. I have never built out a bike before so the endeavor is both enticing yet overwhelming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a wild hunch that you're gonna love it. Mine has become my favorite bicycle of all that I've owned.

If you can swing it, build it with a Rohloff Speedhub.

More pix and spec's for mine are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cargonistas/sets/72157610314134551/

Best wishes on your build!

Mogolife said...

Thanks for the link to your pics! Is it hard to change a flat with an internal hub?

Anonymous said...

It's not hard. The Rohloff is a straightforward, two-step process to remove in case of a flat. Once you see it done you'll realize how simple it is.

That said, I'm running Schwalbe Marathon tires and have never had a flat!